Conor McGregor reveals interest in acquiring shares at Celtic and reiterates soft spot for Man Utd

Conor McGregor reveals interest in acquiring shares at Celtic and reiterates his soft spot for Manchester United… with UFC superstar insisting ‘I could do big things for a football club!’

  • Conor McGregor has previously stated his interest in buying Manchester United
  • But now the Irish MMA star says he’s held talks about acquiring shares in Celtic
  • He has held talks with Irish billionaire and largest shareholder Dermot Desmond 
  • McGregor has spoken of his admiration for Roy Keane and Sir Alex Ferguson 
  • United fans have protested in recent weeks about the Glazer owners at the club 

UFC star Conor McGregor has revealed talks about acquiring shares from Celtic’s largest shareholder Dermot Desmond amid continued interest in buying shares in a football club. 

The Irishman, 32, declared his interest in buying Manchester United a few weeks ago in the wake of the collapsed European Super League plans and continued fan unrest against the Glazer ownership. 

And while ‘The Notorious’ said United were a ‘team I liked for sure’, he admitted in a Twitter Q&A that he has held talks with about acquiring shares in 51-time Scottish champions Celtic. 

Irish billionaire Desmond, 70, is the largest individual shareholder at Celtic with 34.7 per cent of shares

Conor McGregor (L) says he’s held talks to acquire shares in Celtic from Dermot Desmond (R)

McGregor has previously stated his interest in buying Manchester United from the Glazers

McGregor has previously stated his interest in buying Manchester United from the Glazers 

The 'Notorious' responded to a question in a Twitter Q&A about his interest in owning a club

The ‘Notorious’ responded to a question in a Twitter Q&A about his interest in owning a club 

In response to a question asking: ‘Are you actually going to buy Manchester United???’, McGregor said: ‘A conversation came up regarding Celtic first to be honest. To acquire shares from Dermot Desmond. 

‘I am certainly interested in acquiring a sports team at some stage! Both Celtic and Man United are teams I like for sure. But I am open. I feel I could do big things for a club.’ 

Irish billionaire Desmond, 70, is the largest individual shareholder at Celtic with 34.7 per cent of shares, who insisted as recently as March that his shares were not for sale. 

Desmond also previously held a stake in Man United, but he then sold out to Malcolm Glazer when the American family took over the club in 2005. 

McGregor’s net worth, according to April estimates from Forbes, stands at an estimated £181m. 

The UFC superstar has previously revealed his admiration for the Red Devils as a youngster

The UFC superstar has previously revealed his admiration for the Red Devils as a youngster

McGregor previously asked his 8.6m Twitter followers if he should buy the Old Trafford club

McGregor previously asked his 8.6m Twitter followers if he should buy the Old Trafford club

In the years since the Glazers took over at Old Trafford, their ownership of the club has been met with fierce opposition from supporters. 

That anger has been exacerbated in recent weeks after the Super League fallout, with United’s game against Liverpool last weekend postponed as a result of fan protests at Old Trafford. 

Supporters broke into the stadium, entered the dressing room area and invaded the pitch, with more protests set to be planned this week for home games against Leicester on Tuesday and the rescheduled clash against Liverpool on Thursday. 

McGregor previously revealed that United’s history of success, as well as ties with Irish stars such as Roy Keane and Dennis Irwin, attracted him to the club as a youngster.

‘I was attracted to the success and winning mentality of the club and people surrounded by United. Irish legends like Denis Irwin and Roy Keane were dedicated to their craft and had that winning mentality. 

‘Roy Keane was one of the best midfielders European football has ever seen. Opponents would be mentally beaten before they’d even stepped on to the pitch to face him.’ 

McGregor, 32, was an admirer of Roy Keane given his mental fortitude over opponents

McGregor, 32, was an admirer of Roy Keane given his mental fortitude over opponents

McGregor also described legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson as ‘the don of football’. 

‘Then they had the don of football at the helm, the legendary Sir Alex Ferguson. To have that much success over such a long period is remarkable and something I continue to aspire to. 

‘And he did it by nurturing youngsters into stars and not by spending and spending and spending like some of these other managers. It’s been great to see Sir Alex getting back to full health and continuing to be at the United games. What passion! I wish him and his family all the best.’ 

Advertisement


Colby Covington brands ‘joke’ Conor McGregor ‘the laughing stock of the MMA community’

Colby Covington brands ‘joke’ Conor McGregor ‘the laughing stock of the MMA community’ as UFC welterweight hits out at ‘WASHED UP’ Irishman amid his bitter feud with 170-pound king Kamaru Usman

  • Colby Covington has labelled UFC star Conor McGregor a ‘joke’ and ‘washed-up’ 
  • The Irishman has been embroiled in a bitter feud with champion Kamaru Usman
  • Welterweight contender Covington has dismissed the Irishman’s credentials 
  • Covington claims that McGregor is ‘the laughing stock of the MMA community’ 
  • McGregor has one win in his last three fights and recently lost to Dustin Poirier 

Colby Covington has branded Conor McGregor a ‘joke’ and ‘the laughing stock of the MMA community’ as the welterweight contender weighed in on the Irishman’s feud with champion Kamaru Usman.

McGregor, 32, has teased a move up to 170 pounds to take on the all-conquering Nigerian Nightmare, who he has accused of ‘copying’ his one-liners and fighting style. 

However, the Irishman is unlikely to move up in weight in the near future as he bids to avenge his January defeat to Dustin Poirier and kickstart his tilt at the lightweight title. 

Colby Covington has labelled UFC star Conor McGregor a ‘joke’ in a series of stinging remarks

McGregor is embroiled in a feud with welterweight champion Kamaru Usman over 'copying'

McGregor is embroiled in a feud with welterweight champion Kamaru Usman over ‘copying’

And Covington, who is No 1 contender at welterweight, has dismissed McGregor’s credentials as a worthy challenger at 170 pounds, claiming that the Irishman’s feud with Usman is attention-seeking on the 32-year-old’s part.

‘I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard about it and that’s obviously just Conor trying to get some hype, get some headlines,’ Covington told MMA Fighting. 

‘Come on, dude, the guy just got knocked out by ‘Dustin Sorry-ier.’ Come on, are you serious? You want a title shot at 170? You’re getting beat up by gatekeeper lightweights and now you want to come to the top of the 170 welterweight division?

However, 170-pound contender says McGregor is 'washed up', dismissing his credentials

McGregor has just one win from his last three UFC fights

However, Covington (left) says McGregor (right) is ‘washed up’, dismissing his credentials

He said McGregor is 'the laughing stock of the MMA community' after losing to Dustin Poirier

He said McGregor is ‘the laughing stock of the MMA community’ after losing to Dustin Poirier

‘Everybody knows what Conor’s doing. He’s not really gonna do that. He’s not gonna come up and fight welterweight. 

‘He’s just doing that to grab attention, to grab headlines, make people think he’s being taken seriously because honestly, he’s a joke.’

Covington added that McGregor, who has one win and two losses from his last three UFC fight, is ‘washed up’ and ‘has nothing left in the tank’. 

‘He’s the laughing stock in the MMA community and even to casual fans because they’re just like, “Conor’s washed up. He’s done.”

‘He made all that money with his whiskey, he made all that money for the Mayweather fight, he has no motivation. 

‘Nothing gets him up early in the morning to go fight. He tries to say it’s for his kids but man, the guy’s done. He has nothing left in the tank.’ 

The No 1 contender at welterweight is hoping for another shot at champion Usman next

The No 1 contender at welterweight is hoping for another shot at champion Usman next

Usman broke Covington's jaw as he suffered a fifth-round stoppage defeat to the champion

Usman broke Covington’s jaw as he suffered a fifth-round stoppage defeat to the champion 

McGregor takes on Poirier for a third time on July 10, with the lightweight pair tied at a one win apiece over each other. Covington believes that his former American Top Team team-mate, Poirier, will defeat the Irishman again.

‘Yeah, and that’s not saying like Dustin Sorry-ier is any good or like, is anything special. Because the guy’s not. The guy’s a gatekeeper at lightweight. He’s nothing more. All in the big fights he always gets knocked out and beaten. He’s a jobber, that’s the definition of what Dustin Sorry-ier is.’ 

Usman has vowed to ‘lap’ his competition and Covington is the next contender in his sights after knocking out Jorge Masvidal at UFC 261.

The welterweight king faced his toughest test against the loudmouth American when they first met at UFC 245, winning via fifth-round stoppage having broken Covington’s jaw in the midst of the enthralling contest. 

Advertisement

Jake Paul boasts that he will ‘OBLITERATE’ Nate Diaz to set up showdown with Conor McGregor

Jake Paul boasts that he will ‘OBLITERATE’ Nate Diaz and set up a ‘massive’ showdown with Conor McGregor as YouTuber turned boxer plans his next fight after shock 60-second knockout of Ben Askren 

  • Jake Paul is coming off a first-round stoppage win over UFC fighter Ben Askren
  • The Youtuber-turned-boxer is hoping to set up a bout with Conor McGregor 
  • Paul has called out Nate Diaz who exchanged wins with McGregor back in 2016 
  • The 24-year-old says he would ‘obliterate’ Diaz to set up a McGregor fight 

Jake Paul has called out UFC star Nate Diaz saying he would ‘obliterate’ him if they were to ever scrap it out in the boxing ring.

The Youtuber-turned-boxer is lining up future opponents after his shock first-round stoppage victory over recently retired MMA fighter Ben Askren. 

Paul has ambitions of tempting Conor McGregor back into the boxing ring, and says beating Diaz  who conquered McGregor at UFC 196 in 2016, would help set up a future clash with the Irishman. 

Jake Paul is coming off a first-round stoppage victory over UFC fighter Ben Askren

Paul has ambitions of tempting UFC superstar Conor McGregor back into the boxing ring

Paul has ambitions of tempting UFC superstar Conor McGregor back into the boxing ring

Paul has also called out Nate Diaz saying he would 'obliterate' the 36-year-old fighter

Paul has also called out Nate Diaz saying he would ‘obliterate’ the 36-year-old fighter

Speaking about Diaz, he told ESPN as per the Sun: ‘I think people will immediately write me off but they’re going to tune into watch.

‘It’s two massive names and it’s a massive pay-per-view. When people see me obliterate him (Diaz), their jaws are going to drop, they’re not going to know how to react and they’re going to think it’s rigged again.

‘At that moment in time, I’ll be undeniable to fight Conor McGregor because I beat the guy who beat him.

‘The Jake Paul vs Conor fight is a massive fight so I’m like why wait? I don’t need to be in this sport forever, I don’t need 100 fights so why wait, let’s do it right away.’

Paul holds a 3-0 boxing record after victories over Youtubers Deji and AnEnsonGib, before his 60 second knockout victory over Askren.

The 24-year-old has called out a number of UFC stars in recent times including Kamaru Usman, Tyron Woodley, Khabib Nurmagomedov and Daniel Cormier.

There has also been talk of a potential bout with Tyson Fury’s younger brother Tommy.

Paul has a 3-0 boxing record and has been calling out a number of UFC stars in recent times

Paul has a 3-0 boxing record and has been calling out a number of UFC stars in recent times

Diaz meanwhile is set to return to the octagon at UFC 262 when he takes on Leon Edwards.

It will be the 36-year-old’s return to the ring after he last fought in November 2019, when he fell to a TKO defeat to Jorge Misvidal. 

Diaz shocked the world when he beat McGregor via submission at UFC 196, before the Irishman got his revenge over Diaz at UFC 202 winning via majority decision.   

McGregor is next expected to face Dustin Poirier in a trilogy fight to headline UFC 264, after the latter won by second-round TKO at UFC 257 in January.  

Advertisement

Conor McGregor’s assault victim hits out at UFC superstar after being ‘BARRED’

Conor McGregor’s pub assault victim insists ‘it’s no skin off my nose’ that he has now been BARRED by the ‘disingenuous’ UFC superstar after he bought the Dublin venue for £2m

  • Conor McGregor has splashed out £2million to buy Dublin pub ‘Marble Arch’
  • He was infamously captured on camera in establishment punching patron 
  • Desmond Keogh was victim and MMA fighter ended up pleading guilty to assault
  • McGregor tweeted saying that Keogh is barred now that he owns the pub 
  • Keogh recently replied: ‘I didn’t make much of it. It’s no skin off my nose really’

Conor McGregor’s pub punch victim has insisted it is ‘no skin of my nose’ after the UFC star bought the establishment and barred him.

Desmond Keogh, 50, who has been drinking at the Marble Arch for 14 years, was infamously punched by McGregor in the pub back in 2019 for refusing a drink of his own brand Proper No. Twelve whiskey before patrons dragged ‘The Notorious’ away. 

McGregor pleaded guilty, was fined for the assault and tweeted last week confirming that Keogh is no longer welcome at his old watering hole, writing: ‘Yeah, and yer man’s barred.’

McGregor was fined £860 after admitting to the punch and says he has barred Keogh

The Notorious has claimed that Keogh has been 'barred' after sharing news of the purchase

The Notorious has claimed that Keogh has been ‘barred’ after sharing news of the purchase

Keogh found out that the former two-weight UFC champion had barred him by reading about it in the paper but insisted he is not bothered. 

He told Dublin Live: ‘I’m not really concerned because I probably wouldn’t be going back to it now.

‘I didn’t really make much of it. It’s no skin off my nose really. 

‘I’ve a lot of friends there. I probably drank there for about 14 years. The fact that he was in the wrong, you know, why blame me? It seems weird to me. It’s disingenuous.’

He added: ‘The past is in the past. It’s all done and dusted two years ago this month. He had to go to court and he pleaded guilty.’

McGregor has been spreading his influence outside of the cage by expanding his empire

McGregor has been spreading his influence outside of the cage by expanding his empire 

The Marble Arch in Dublin (pictured above) has been added to McGregor's property portfolio

The Marble Arch in Dublin (pictured above) has been added to McGregor’s property portfolio 

McGregor was fined £860 for the incident and Keogh believes the amount was insufficient, arguing: ‘I thought he might have got a bigger fine from the court, that’s all.’

Last week, The Currency, reported that the venue marks McGregor’s second purchase in the area as he looks to expand his business ventures outside the octagon.

The Dubliner was caught on CCTV hitting Mr Keogh in the face on April 6, two years ago, while visiting to promote his whiskey brand. 

Video showed McGregor offering a round of shots to men sitting at the bar, then lashing out when one of them refused to take the drink. 

McGregor suffered defeat at the hands of Dustin Poirier (right) back in January this year

McGregor suffered defeat at the hands of Dustin Poirier (right) back in January this year

The 32-year-old also splashed out a reported sum of £1.7m on another pub in Dublin in 2019 – the Black Forge, situated near his hometown of Crumlin.

It is thought ‘The Notorious’ spent a further £868,000 to renovate the venue and transform it into a gastro pub. 

McGregor interests outside of the cage have been thought by some to be a distraction from his MMA career, negatively impacting his performance. 

He suffered defeat at the hands of Dustin Poirier back in January but is currently preparing for their trilogy fight in the main event of UFC 246 on July 10. 

Advertisement

Conor McGregor accuses Kamaru Usman of ‘copying’ his shots during knockout win over Jorge Masvidal

Conor McGregor accuses Kamaru Usman of ‘copying’ his shots during impressive knockout win over Jorge Masvidal at UFC 261… as he threatens to ‘smack’ the ‘Nigerian Nightmare’

  • Conor Mcgregor has accused Kamaru Usman of copying his ‘shots’ on Saturday 
  • Usman knocked Jorge Masvidal out within two rounds at UFC 261 on Saturday
  • Mcgregor has said that Usman deserves a ‘smack’ for copying his fighting style
  • He also said that he would become the UFC’s welterweight champion this year  

Conor Mcgregor has accused Kamaru Usman of copying his ‘shots’ during his fight Jorge Masvidal at UFC 261.

Usman overcame Masvidal by unanimous decision when the pair faced-off at UFC 251 in Abu Dhabi last July. He then went on to knock him out within two rounds during their second encounter on Saturday night. 

Following the fight, Mcgregor took to Twitter to call out the ‘Nigerian Nightmare’ – claiming he deserves a ‘smack’ for replicating his fighting style.

Conor Mcgregor has accused Kamaru Usman of copying his ‘shots’ on Saturday at UFC 261

Usman (L) knocked Jorge Masvidal (R) out within two rounds at UFC 261 on Saturday night

Usman (L) knocked Jorge Masvidal (R) out within two rounds at UFC 261 on Saturday night 

Mcgregor shared a post on Twitter which read: ‘Usman even copying my shots now. Am I to fight this guy at some stage? I think so. 

‘Can’t be copying my words and my shots and not get a smack for it. I like 170. It’s mine soon.’

The Irish star also added a video from his fight with Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 to support his claim. 

Mcgregor also added that the sight of the crowd at Usman’s fight with Masvidal had him ‘salivating like a dog’.  

Following the fight (above), Mcgregor took to Twitter to call out the 'Nigerian Nightmare'

 Following the fight (above), Mcgregor took to Twitter to call out the ‘Nigerian Nightmare’

McGregor went on to claim that he would soon become the UFC’s welterweight champion. 

He said he would spent the rest of the year at 155 lbs before moving to 170 lbs to take on Usman.

He Tweeted saying: ‘I’m a block at 170 guys. Give me till end of year at this 155 weight. I’ll get the strap and then I’ll go up again. After green fungus panties hahaha “cos any one of these fools can get it” – usman’. 

Advertisement